Each medical center serves as the main teaching site for that campus's medical school. UCSF is perennially among the top five programs in both research and main care, and both UCLA and UCSD steadily rank among the top fifteen research schools, as indicated by yearly rankings published by U.S. News and World Report. The teaching hospitals affiliated with each school are greatly regardedboth UCLA and UCSF's medical centers are in U.S. News and World Report's 201011 Honor Roll for Best Hospitals in the United States. UC also has a 6th medical schoolUC Riverside School of Medicine, the only one in the UC system without own hospital.
In the latter half of the 20th century, the UC hospitals became the cores of full fledged regional health systems, they were slowly supplemented by many outpatient clinics, offices, and institutes. Three UC hospitals are really county hospitals that were sold to UC, which means that UC now plays a big role in healthcare to the indigent. The medical hospitals operated by UC Irvine assumed in 1976, UC Davis assumed in 1978, and UC San Diego assumed in 1984, each began as the respective county hospitals of Orange County, Sacramento County, and San Diego County. As of 2016, UC medical centers handle yearly about 4.5 million outpatient visits, 356,000 emergency room visits, and 165,000 inpatient admissions.
There are two medical centers that bear the UCLA name, but aren't operated by UCLA: HarborUCLA Medical Center and Olive View UCLA Medical Center. they're really Los Angeles County operated buildings that UCLA uses as teaching hospitals.
The history of UC Davis Medical Center dates to May 3, 1850 when Sacramento City Council suggested that a hospital be built. The Sacramento County Hospital has been established consequently, in 1852.
In 1871, the hospital has been moved to a 22-acre 8.9 ha parcel of land on Stockton Blvd in Sacramento, California, the present place of UC Davis Medical Center. Just five years afterward, the original building has been destroyed by fire. In 1879, a new hospital was finished and accepted by the county. This building was intended by N.D. Goodell, architect of the Governors Mansion in Sacramento. It stood till 1914, when construction of an completely new building has been proposed. The major hospital building was finished in 1928, and still stands today. It has been incorporated into the north/south wing of the major hospital in 1950.
In 1964, 34,000 square feet 3,200 m2 of space has been added to the hospital. Two years afterward, the building became a community hospital, making everyone in Sacramento County qualified for patient care. In 1966, an affiliation agreement has been reached with UC Davis, making the hospital a main teaching hospital, and expanding its mission to include education and research. The Medical School at Davis opened its doors on September 23, 1968 and one month afterward a dedication ceremony changed the name of the hospital from Sacramento County Hospital to the Sacramento Medical Center.
In 1970, defeat of a Health Sciences Bond issue squelched the hopes of a new V.A. Hospital in Davis, CA, setting in motion an agreement signed two years afterward between the County of Sacramento and UC Davis. This agreement provided for the move of ownership and operation of the hospital to the University. That same year, UC Regents bought 32 acres 13 ha of vacant land east of 45th street, previously used by the California State Fairgrounds. This buy increased the size of the medical center campus to 54 acres 22 ha. The Sacramento Medical Center officially became the University of California, Davis Medical Center on July 1, 1978, five years after its buy on July 1, 1973.